Just because we are celebrating Cinco de Mayo at home does not mean that we should not enjoy some of our Mexican restaurant favorites. These citrus and beer marinated fajitas are full of flavor and so tender they might end up being one of your “go-to” meals.
PREP: 15 min MARINATE: 4-6 hours hrs Cook: 10-15 mins MAKES: 4-6 Servings
Citrus & Beer Marinated Beef Fajitas with Grilled Peppers and Onions
- 2 lbs. strip steak
- 1 cup dark beer
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice- juiced with the Vinci Citrus Juicer
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice- juiced with the Vinci Citrus Juicer
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, chopped (optional)
- 4 bell peppers, different colors, sliced into 1/4-inch strips
- 2 large yellow onions, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch strips
- 2 portobello mushrooms, sliced into 1/2-inch strips
- salt & pepper to taste
- 4-6 tortillas
- favorite fajita toppings
1. Prepare marinade in a large bowl by combining beer, olive oil, soy sauce, orange juice, lime juice, salt, black pepper, cumin, oregano, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, chopped garlic and jalapeño (optional).
2. Place strip steak into a large zipper bag, Add 1/2 marinade and marinate in the refrigerator for 4-6 hours.
3. Place sliced vegetables into a second zipper bag, add remainder of the marinade and marinate in the fridge for 4-6 hours.
3. After marinating, pull the strip steak and veggies out of the refrigerator and bring to room temperature.
4. Heat a grill pan or cast iron pan over medium-high heat and spray generously with cooking spray. Remove meat from marinade and cook the steak, 3 to 4 minutes on each side for medium doneness. Transfer to a cutting board, cover loosely with aluminum foil and allow the meat to rest for 10 minutes.
5. While steak is resting, cook drained vegetables in the same pan over med-high heat until nicely caramelized and soft.
6. Slice the steak across the grain into thin slices and place on a serving platter. Toss with cooked veggies and serve with warm tortillas and favorite fajita sides such as; guacamole, sour cream, shredded cheese, pico de gallo, rice, and beans.