We have all heard the virtues of freshly squeezed citrus juice and the numerous nutritional benefits. Citrus fruits including oranges, lemons, limes, mandarins, blood oranges, grapefruit, etc. are packed with vitamin c, fiber, heart-healthy flavonoids, potassium and provide healthy hydration as well as providing many other health benefits.
Fresh citrus delivers tons of flavor to countless recipes adding little to no fat, sodium, or calories, making them a great way to add flavor, but not a ton of calories. Citrus can also help your body absorb iron- a mineral that's essential for our immune systems and in turn helps the body produce new red blood cells.
But when it comes to the term freshly squeezed citrus juice, what exactly does that mean? How fresh is fresh? Studies show that juice that has been taken from the citrus and drank straightaway, without being stored or pasteurized delivers the most health benefits.
When you go to the supermarket, you will see plenty of products on the shelves claiming to be "freshly squeezed" but have a shelf life of only several days. So, is the juice freshly squeezed if it has been on the shelf for up to a week after being bottled? Are the health benefits the same? Unfortunately not.
Store bought citrus juice products go through a pasteurization process that involves heating the juice to 160°F, ensuring that they can be kept on the shelf for extended periods and killing pathogens. The high heat that is applied during the pasteurization process, unfortunately, destroys many of the vital nutrients in the juice, and while we want pasteurization to remove those risky pathogens that can live in foods there is a perfectly safe and nutrient saving solution; make your juice at home.
Making your own freshly squeezed citrus juice at home ensures that it is perfectly safe and full of those nutrients your body needs. Here are even more reasons to incorporate fresh citrus juice into your diet:
1. One glass of fresh citrus juice will ensure that you get your recommended daily dose of Vitamin C.
2. Fresh citrus juice contains flavonoids which can help reduce blood pressure and high cholesterol levels.
3. Freshly squeezed citrus juice is in antioxidants and is also high in dietary fiber, thiamine, and folates.
4. Studies show that fresh orange juice can help protect against cancer, heart disease, as well as boost our immune system responses.
5. Drinking fresh citrus juice can reduce the damaging effect that free radicals have on the cells in our bodies.
6. There are many different flavonoids and phytonutrients in fresh orange juice that can protect you against many degenerative diseases.
Your daily boost from fresh citrus couldn't be more straightforward. Just get your favorite citrus, cut it in half, place on your Vinci Hands Free Citrus juicer and enjoy truly fresh squeezed citrus juice.