With the holidays right around the corner, we plan on serving up with winter citrus-inspired dessert. The flavors of fresh orange, almond, and cranberry pair perfectly in this warm dessert that feeds a crowd.
Use the Vinci Hands Free Citrus Juicer to juice the 5 1/4 cups fresh orange juice needed for the bread pudding and sauce.
Orange, Almond & Cranberry Bread Pudding with Spiced Orange Sauce
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 12 eggs, beaten
- 1 ¼ cups whipping cream
- 1 ¼ cups orange juice
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 12 cups cubed Challah bread
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- 4 cups orange Juice
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 cup salted butter, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Make the pudding: In a large bowl, combine the eggs and whipping cream; whisk until well blended. Whisk in sugar and cinnamon. Stir in orange juice, orange zest and almond extract. Add bread cubes; let stand for 15 minutes. Stir in almonds and cranberries.
- Transfer mixture to a buttered 3-quart rectangular baking dish, use spatula to get all the mixture in the pan. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for additional 30 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center portion comes out clean. Let stand for 20-30 minutes before serving.
- Make sauce while the pudding is baking. In a large saucepan, combine orange juice, allspice, and sugar. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to simmer and boil gently, uncovered, until reduced to 1 cup (about 30 minutes), stirring occasionally. Whisk in whipping cream; bring heat up to medium-high and bring to a boil for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the cream is reduced and sauce slightly thickened. Remove from heat and whisk in butter until incorporated. Serve warm bread pudding with warm sauce.
Serve this Orange, Almond & Cranberry Bread Pudding warm with a little vanilla ice cream and orange sauce.